Traffic generation has become the heart of any business that moves online. Today, every marketer has a well-defined space for search engine optimization (SEO) in their marketing strategies. Therefore, it is important to understand the changing dynamics of SEO and keep evolving with the change.
Primarily, marketers need to invest time in understanding consumer search behavior. What are they organically searching or typing. This behavioral analysis constitutes the optimization toolbox. Therefore, each industry and sector will have to focus on its category and tap into the market accordingly.
I was researching the rising SEO trends for 2016 and came across a live webcast from Edwin Dearborn, author of Powerful Brand Secretson SEO best practices for 2016, which I think can help us reshape our SEO strategy.
In the future, SEO search on mobile devices will be trending as most people search for local businesses i.e. doctors, houses for rent, cosmetics, restaurants nearby , using mobile search. This applies to businesses that market nationally and internationally, as these fundamentals are essential to any business.
If we look closely at this Google fact, we will find that over the past few years it has forced brands and businesses to avoid certain tactics with SEO, such as poor content, Keyword filler, bad links. In other words, asking them not to create a bad experience for users trying to find great content and great companies.
Keeping our ears to the ground, we must change when Google changes. Google forces brands to create great content and user experience by creating mobile-friendly websites that people find user-friendly and valuable. It has advanced people-smart technology to know if your website is really valuable and people are sharing content on social media and has a host of signals it tracks to determine how it should rank your business .
Read also : Weighing the Pros and Cons of SEO for a Startup
A quote from Entrepreneur magazine:
It’s a little-known secret that Google and other search engines are moving from traditional SEO to a goal. Quality and Authoritarian contents. It’s always important to optimize your metadata and stay on top of relevant keywords. It can no longer be denied that generating organic search results using quality content with a strong focus on authority is now leading the way.
Dearborn suggested a four-step approach to adopting SEO best practices going forward. He used a vertical healthcare example to explain what he means by these best practices.
1) Discover and target additional verticals
- Let’s say for the local chiropractor, he identifies eight verticals that he not only offers as services, but has search trends like fibromyalgia. It may not have fibromyalgia as a specific page item on this site. Now he has to build this fibromyalgia vertical and all the other topics.
- The SEO strategy should be to figure out how to take our local market and expand it into specific verticals that people are looking for, but include the services that you offer.
- There’s ways people lookin’pain’. They may not type in “back pain” or “neck pain”. They may seek natural relief from ailments and seek out different types of resources, such as massage, diet, or physical therapy.
- For example, a local chiropractor may have a website where they talk about general back and neck pain, but there are many other verticals for the pain itself, i.e. knee pain, hip pain and even the types of pain that can bring certain types of diseases.
2) Do thorough keyword research
- Now that the chiropractor has identified eight verticals, the next step is to find keywords related to them.
- Understand how people in these eight industries search. For example, ‘How can I get rid of my fibromyalgia?’ or ‘Natural remedies for fibromyalgia.’ This is where we have now broken down the main verticals. Now we want to match the verticals with the keywords that are used specifically for those verticals.
3) Guarantee high quality content around this sector and this keyword
- Let’s understand what HQC (High Quality Content) is: it’s all content that has value for users, giving information, answering questions, providing links to information and resources.
- Research by Neil Patel of Kissmetrics found that content 2,300 words or longer will be shared twice as often and rank higher on search engines because people like to get to the nitty-gritty and Google likes extended content. .
- How does the chiropractor then generate the HQC? Either he will have to hire a team that really understands the subject, or do a Google Hangout or a video, or transcribe a conversation with the doctor about fibromyalgia. This becomes a blog post with the associated video.
- Ideally, it should be both video and blog. It can take that video and rank it for those local search terms on YouTube, which is the second biggest engine. He can take the transcript and turn it into a blog, polish it and also have a blog ranking in Google search terms.
Now we have verticals, keywords, useful content complete with inbound links, outbound links, list resources and answers to questions – now it’s decent standalone content.
4) Distribute and Distribute, Extensively and Persistently
In Dearborn’s words, “Half the job is creating the content and half is distributing the content.”
- How can we distribute content? Share in different groups and subgroups with each platform i.e. LinkedIn, blog marketing, retweet.
- Distribute in detail and plan distribution frequency, but do it consistently, i.e. emails with a large database, YouTube, how many times to retweet, etc.
- Google sees that there’s traffic coming in, there’s a social signal, shares, activity and views on that content. Doing this creates a better opportunity to have that content ranked due to views and shares.
Essentially, this guides us to create a SEO storyboard strategy – For the chiropractor, if he has found eight verticals and four keywords in each of them, he has 32 keywords. If he does one content per week, he has a six-month plan ahead of him. It can further focus on creating storyboards for each of those keywords along that vertical. Spend time on what will go into the content by doing research. Accompany it with a solid and well-detailed distribution plan.
Approaching your SEO strategy diligently can help you stay ahead of the game and of course also top the Google rankings!
Now read: From driver to award-winning entrepreneur: the rise of Sharanyan Sharma in Sri Lanka